“As we settle into a time of transition from a full and fruitful year to a season of planning and “planting” for the coming year, we are grateful for our Visitation way which calls us to live in the PRESENT MOMENT and to treasure the graces in the relationships. Our daily rhythm of Eucharist, Liturgy of the Hours, personal prayer and door ministry keeps us centered on Living Jesus in a profoundly incarnational way in the midst of the city!”
A Few Highlight of “the year that has been”:
The St. Jane House, our urban spirituality center, served as the gathering place for women’s retreats, men’s spirituality & centering prayer groups, several high school and college inner city immersion experiences, discernment evenings, leadership training, From Death to Life meetings, etc., etc. (We even had a baby shower there!)
Our Visitation Internship Program (VIP) was launched this year, and two lovely young women recently completed their year of community service and in-depth experience of our charism.
- Children and their families enjoyed a myriad of activities: field trips as diverse as the Holidazzle parade, the Children’s Theatre, Minnesota Science Museum, & The Minnesota History Theatre, parties sponsored and run by Vicki Bailey and friends of Mendota Visitation, etc., etc.
- Mendota Visitation seniors were pioneers during their community service weeks here from May 21st thru May 31st. Instead of going to Guatemala, they came to North Minneapolis! It was a great Mission Trip right here in the city!!! The school motto “Not for School but for Life” was in full swing.
A few Highlights of summer 2012:
- Our dear Sister Karen recently completed six years of selfless and Spirit-filled leadership of our community. Sister Mary Frances succeeds her and will endeavor to follow her example of empowering the gifts of each of our Sisters and lay counterparts.
Thanks to the generosity of many benefactors & volunteers, we were able to send 75 children and 7 teen “Counselors in Training” to Catholic Youth Camp in McGreggor, MN; 4 teens to St. Louis to participate in Vistory, a program which brings Visitation students from around the country together to serve and learn about Salesian spirituality; and 2 teens to an intensive program at St. John’s University: YTM, Youth in Theology and Ministry . . . As Father Michael O’Connell often says, “Our youth are our future.” We are grateful for opportunities to affirm and form them in positive ways.
A Few Highlight of “things to come”:
- We recently welcomed the first participant into our Monastic Immersion experience, a 6-month stay in our monastery. Not unlike St. Jane de Chantal, Marsha West, who hails from Forks, Washington, has had many life vocations as wife, mother, grandmother, widow, and on and on! She brings many gifts our way and we are happy to share our life with her. Welcome Marsha!
- We are in the process of interviewing New VIPs for the coming year.
- Our dear Maryann Pearson has “retired” as coordinator of the Visitation Companions, our lay community. Thanks to her untiring dedication, we have about 15-20 members! Jody Johnson has accepted the role of coordinator and will work with Sr. Mary Frances and Linda Goynes to keep the movement growing.
*Published in our Summer Newsletter – which you can view in its entirety here.