by Brigid Ryan-Ling, Visitation Alumna
Internship Program is a Community-Living, Year-Long Volunteer Program for Young Adults
Minneapolis, MN—21 March 2012–The Visitation Sisters of Minneapolis are accepting applications for their Visitation Internship Program (VIP), a volunteer-based program that provides young adults the opportunity to live in community in North Minneapolis with other young adults, providing service and ministry in the neighborhood for one year.
North Minneapolis is an economically challenged area of the Twin Cities, and the Visitation Sisters strive to create a prayerful presence in their neighborhood. Sister Karen Mohan, leader of the community, noted how young adults are excited to challenge themselves, and this opportunity gives them a chance to do just that.
“Young adults can share in the ministry of the Visitation Sisters of Minneapolis by ‘Living Jesus’ in urban Minneapolis for one year among those who are often marginalized. This program is a wonderful opportunity for young adults to discover and apply the legacy of Catholic social justice teaching and deepen their own spirituality, all while serving others,” said Sister Karen.
VIP participant Kelly Schumacher said,
“My year as a VIP has been wonderful. I feel so blessed to have had this year to take a step back, live out my faith through service, explore questions of discernment and vocation, and learn from both my neighbors here in the North side and the Visitation Sisters.”
Some additional information:
- Women and men between the ages of 21-35 eligible to apply.
- The VIPs live in an intentional VIP community and commit to regular times together in their house and also with the Visitation Sisters
- The VIPs serve in a ministry within the north Minneapolis community.
- The VIPs learn Salesian spirituality through engaging with the Visitation Sisters, the Visitation Companions, north side neighbors, and through study and retreat opportunities.
- The VIPs are offered spiritual direction, vocational discernment, and prayer opportunities through the Visitation Sisters.
Applications are currently being accepted for the year beginning August 2012. For more information, please click here: Visitation Internship Program